Waste Not Wednesday | Pesto
This is a fabulously quick and easy way to use up half bags of spinach leaves or rocket, fresh herbs and kale leaves or any green leafy stalks that you may not use ordinarily (think cauliflower, broccoli or kale).
When using the stalks, quickly blanch them in boiling water for about 3 minutes before plunging into cold water before using.
This recipe is adapted from the I Quit Sugar cookbook which is a mine of information on how to prevent food waste and eat well.
Use on pasta, topped onto burgers, run through rice or spread over chicken before baking.
Quantities are guidelines so make sure you season to taste as you go along.
- 80-150g of leftover green leaves and blanched stalks.
- 70g cashews, pine nuts, pumpkin or sunflower seeds OR you could add 50g grated parmesan.
- Garlic to your taste. I'd suggest 1-4 cloves peeled and finely chopped.
- 100-125ml olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to taste ( I used pink salt)
- Put all ingredients into a food processor or blender. Whizz until fine and smooth.
- Season to taste.
- Pour / spoon into a jar and seal.
- Place in the fridge and use within 1-2 days.