Rhubarb and Orange Cake
This is a very lovely cake / dessert recipe from Good Food Magazine Book: 101 Cakes and Bakes pg 40.
I’ve reduced the sugar a little and used gluten free flour instead and it’s really nice on it’s own or with yoghurt, cream or creme fraiche.
- 350g prepare rhubarb cut into 4cm lengths
- 200g golden caster sugar (I’ll reduce this to 150g)
- Finely grated zest and juice of half a small orange
- 140g butter, soft
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 85g self raising flour (I’ll use gluten free)
- 100g ground almonds
- 25g butter, melted
- 25g light muscovado sugar
- Finely grated zest from half a small orange
- 50g slivered almonds
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Mix rhubarb with 50g caster sugar and orange zest. Set aside for 60 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Preheat the oven to 190C / Gas 5 / Fan 170C. Butter and line the base of a deep, 23cm round tin.
- Cream the butter and remaining caster sugar. Add the eggs, baking powder, flour and ground almonds. Beat gently until smooth, but don’t overwork. Stir in the juice, spoon in the tin and level.
- Drain rhubarb and spoon over mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile combine the butter, sugar, zest and almonds for the topping.
- Reduce to 180C / Gas 4 / Fan 160C.
- Sprinkle the topping over the cake and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes until firm.
- Cool in tin. Transfer to a rack and dust with icing sugar.