- 250g salted butter
- 1 bag gluten free porridge oats (can be ordinary oats if gluten not a problem)
- 2 eggs
- 150-200g grated cheese (Cheddar or Red Leicester)
- Small bunch of spring onions finely chopped
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Caramelised onions
- Chopped mixed fresh herbs
- 1-2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- Chopped cold ham
- Cooked lardons or bacon
- Pre-heat oven to 170C / 325F / Gas 3.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan without burning or bubbling.
- At the same time gently saute the onions and celery.
- Add enough oats to make the mixture very stiff.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Smooth into a flapjack tin and place on top of a baking tray as this gets oozy.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 20 - 25 minutes.
It may seem to have a lot of liquid on top. It’s a lot of bubbles and you can either press them back onto the mix or allow them to sink in as it cools.
Cut into at least 12 slices and store in the fridge.