These quick and easy favourites really taste damn fine. The date filling is convincingly caramel like and when combined with the easy base and dark chocolate makes for a very decadent sweet without quite the worry that the traditional ones can give!
Bear in mind though that this is a healthier version, not a good-for-you version. It’s still dense with calories and simple carbohydrates. Keep in the freezer and take a piece as you need to.
- 2 large cups of gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- 80-100g coconut oil melted
- 12 pitted medjool dates
- Pinch of sea salt
- A dash of warm water
- 200g dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon cocnonut oil
- Mix all the base ingredients (oats, ground almonds and melted coconut oil) together and press in to a square tin. Freeze
- Make the caramel (this is so like caramel it's fab). Stone the dates and put in a small saucepan with a dash of water and heat until they are soft and pulpy. Blend or food process until smooth, add a pinch of salt if you like salted caramel.
- Spread over the base with a warm knife and freeze.
- Melt chocolate and oil in a bowl over simmering water. Pour on caramel and freeze or fridge. I sprinkled with some flake of sea salt again.