Irish Style Oat Bread
If you are trying to go gluten free, this oat based loaf may be a good transition to cutting out the gluten from your diet. It toasts well and holds it’s shape nicely when sliced.
- 1 x large tub natural yoghurt (soya or dairy)
- 1 x 500g bag gluten free oats
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon milk substitute
- 1 tablespoon treacle or molasses (helps with the colour and flavour)
- Seeds to top with.
You can add the following to your bread if you like.
- Chopped nuts
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Chopped olives
- Grated cheese and onions
- Pre heat oven to 180 fan oven. 350 degrees F. Gas mark 4.
- Grease and line a loaf tin.
- Empty all the yoghurt into a bowl.
- Add two tubs of gluten free oats and make sure all the oats stuck on the yoghurt pot are put into the bowl.
- Mix together.
- Add salt, baking soda, milk, treacle (optional ingredients if being used) and mix together fully. If you don't mix well here you'll get blobs of unmixed treacle in your bread.
- Turn into the tin and top with seeds. Push into the mixture to stick.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes, then remove from tin and cook for 10 more minutes.
It’s so easy — you can get the kids to make it.