Grain Free Pastry
I sourced and then tweaked this recipe from the internet at Christmas so I could have some mince pies. They weren’t bad at all, and I would use it again.
When I made them I didn’t have any coconut flour and so used something from an unlabelled jar in the cupboard. They turned out just fine. I think it was chickpea flour but it didn’t’ seem to make any difference to the final result.
I also didn’t add sugar to the pastry given that mincemeat is sweet enough.
I also didn’t use tapioca as I have an allergy to it, so I used arrowroot instead. Once again, all good 🙂
I made a few jam tarts too with the leftovers.
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2/3 cup of arrowroot or tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- Optional teaspoon coconut sugar for sweet pies ( I don't think you need it)
- Whizz all ingredients except the egg in a food processor.
- Pulse the egg in until it all sticks together, but isn't sticky.
- Place in a plastic bag or a bowl covered with something like beeswax covers for 30 minutes.
- Roll between two pieces of greaseproof paper and cut to size.
- It's a crumbly pastry but sticks back to itself easily enough.
- Make into your pies and bake in a pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes or so on Gas 4, 180C, 350F