Waste Not Wednesday | Using up...onion chutney
Our Waste Not Wednesday posts are derived from our own experience. From having one of those days when you create a masterpiece of a meal from the odds and ends of the cupboards knowing that it\’s a one hit wonder, never to be tasted again.
This week I thought I\’d share how you can avoid ending up with a nearly empty jar of onion chutney in the fridge door that got forgotten and no one wants to use.
Here\’s some suggestions for you.
- Random jar of caramelised onion chutney
- When making mashed potatoes, dollop in a generous spoonful.
- Stir into gravy for a roast dinner.
- Spread on toast before topping with cheese for toasted sandwiches or cheese on toast.
- When making a sauce to accompany a steak, heat in a pan and the stir in creme fraiche or sour cream.
- Spread on the pastry base of a quiche or flan before topping.
- Plop into a sausage casserole.
- Serve on top of a baked potato with grated cheese and chives.
- Combine with some some lime pickle to reduce the heat.
- Stir through hot pasta with flaked peppered mackerel and halved cherry tomatoes.