The spaces we commute, play and commune in are as important for our mental health and well-being as our homes.
If we get irritated by a messy living room or bedroom, chances are we are going to be frustrated and irritated by piles of litter, broken road signs and fly tipping in our community.
At FastTrack Fit Camp we are working to improve our outside spaces so that we can improve where we workout for not only our benefit but for the local neighbourhood too.
As much as we may be happy to make some quick, impromptu pick ups of litter whilst we’re out and about there are a few obvious but still necessary reminders.
- Check the area that you want to litter pick is safe. Are you on a main road? Are there hidden spots where road users can’t see you? Is it private land?
- Is this a known area for groups of youngsters? Are there needles, drugs, broken glass, condoms or syringes laying around?
- If doing a larger group or family clean up do you need hi-vis clothing?
- Do you have litter picking sticks? Bags? Gloves? A recycling strategy?
If you are joining one of our organised Fit Camp litter picks here are some things to consider…
- We’ll set a time for the tidy up to finish. Chances are you could always be finding something. We’ll chose a short manageable time, especially if children are involved. 30-45 minutes maximum should be ample for a group to make a significant difference.
- Please make sure that you have thick, waterproof gloves and a litter picker stick (we can provide these).
- Please never use hands to pick up needles or syringes, even with gloved hands and avoid dipping hands into long grass where needles could be lurking. If in any doubt that you’ve been pricked by a needle lying around, please go to hospital to be checked.
- Avoid touching your mouth, eyes and face with your gloves during the litter pick.
- Avoid upsetting wildlife.
- Watch for loose footing and rabbit holes.
- Bend and lift correctly during a litter pick.
- Ensure all collected items are taken away from the site for home rubbish collection and recycling.
We want to congratulate you on your success! Show us your progress by uploading your before and after photos to your social media feeds tagging any of the following @FastTrackFitCamp on Facebook, @FastTrackFitCmp on Twitter and @FastTrackFitCamp on Instagram using the #FitPickers.
We’d love to see what you’re doing to improve Wokingham or your local environment!
Thank you for helping us to all love life outside a little more!
FastTrack Fit Camp is a Wokingham based outdoor group fitness business that has been running since 2009. In 2019 it converted to a Social Enterprise supporting local community environmental and sustainable programmes by donating a minimum of half of their annual profits back to these projects each year.