Many of our clients start by looking for a gym in Wokingham. In the strength and conditioning industry this is known as ‘the box’ – but who wants to be stuck inside a box?
Being in a box limits you in so many ways.
We may not have the weights, ropes and music of other exercise classes, but we do have many other benefits from using the wide open spaces we have on hand.
The benefits of doing a workout outside have been well researched and show that::
- There’s an increased sense of effort expended when training outside. The ever changing terrain and environment challenges us every time to think and train differently.
- The health benefits than come from an increased oxygen flow and sunlight on the skin increase serotonin production. Serotonin is our happy hormone and whilst not everyone gets a runner’s high every time, I am still yet to meet someone who says after a workout that they wished they’d not wasted their time. Outdoor exercise is definitely great for those with low mood, depression and anxiety.
- Exercising outside has been shown to be better not only for mood but for brain power. The changing scenery, the negotiation of roads, tracks and weather all leave our brains heightened and able to deal with problems and manage stress more easily.
- More so than gym workouts an outdoor workout can be a more family or social affair. If you like the solitude of the gym and you regularly go then stick with it. But if you find that you’re attending less and less maybe a change of scene and company is in order. I am all in favour of a mixed approach to exercise, so finding something you can do (and like) with your family or a friend or in a group setting can give you a variety of ways to get your weekly workouts in.
- Outdoor workouts where people have a buddy to go with have been shown to be more adhered to than gym memberships. If you want longevity from a health and fitness plan this could be the way to go.
- Finally, there’s nothing more invigorating than the slap of wind on your cheeks, the cold in your lungs and a rosy face to make you feel good for making the effort and getting outside to exercise each week.
Our programmes at FastTrack Fit Camp allow you to either use Fit Camp for all your health and fitness needs with an unlimited membership or, you can tailor your sessions to 1 or 2 a week to fit in with your other commitments. Please ask for more information.
Those who can’t imagine moving to an outside space always ask the same questions, so I’ll save you the trouble.
“What do you do if it rains?”
We get wet.
It’s never as bad as you imagine and when it’s truly pouring the instructor team at FastTrack Fit Camp can modify to save you from lying in puddles. But you’ll still get a workout and it will still be a challenge.
“What do you do if it snows?”
It’s not so easy to be flippant here. If it snows and the roads are clear we still run our sessions. Working out on snow on the grass is safe, albeit a tad chilly. If the roads are dangerous or uncleared then we will cancel sessions. No one needs to attend a Fit Camp session that much that they’d risk getting their car damaged. We can provide at home workouts for these situations.
“If you carry on in rain and snow, what would stop you running a session?”
We’ll cancel an outdoor exercise class if there is thunder and lightening overhead, black ice on the ground or snow on the roads. That’s about it.
Our Sunday Wake Up! sessions are open to anyone to join us at 9am each week. Families are welcome as long as the children are accompanied by an adult.
If you are still unsure about how you feel about working out outside, why not take advantage of our trial week and see for yourself before committing one way or the other. We’ve converted the most ardent of gym goers over the years!