Today is my birthday.
I also think of it as New Year’s Day.
Today, apart from taking off to the coast for the day, I’ll be thinking about the past 12 months and the next twelve.
This time last year I was newly into the Metabolic Balance® programme having just been alerted to the fact that my thyroid was struggling a bit. I was mid way through finishing my book so I could get it published by my self imposed deadline of 1 September. I had a daughter in New Zealand with no long term plans and another in her final weeks of University.
And that’s the beauty of time, you can look back and see what you’ve got through, celebrated in or shoved under the carpet.
I consider the past 12 months some of my most challenging in many ways.
- That I appear slightly neurotic in my approach to my health hasn’t gone unnoticed. But this wellness rebel won’t be stopped.
- Both daughters had their challenges this year, but now they are both settled with their own independent lives.
- My Dad abandoned me! (Maybe slightly dramatic, but he moved out of ‘popping in’ distance and he’s missed at home and at Fit Camp).
- My book was published…early!
- Winter was long and arduous for an outdoor fitness business.
But I also use a day like this to reflect on what fabulous stuff came out of all of that.
- I’ve met some truly super people who are supporting me with my health challenges.
- I’ve learned what I am capable of and when to ask for help.
- I’ve learned to say no more often.
- I’ve recognised that despite telling my clients to look after themselves first that it’s OK for me to do that too.
- Or girls cope perfectly well with or without me.
- My business continues to run and help people feel better about their lives every day.
- People liked my book.
As I sit on a beach somewhere on the south coast later today I’ll be thinking forward to my 49th year. What’s next? What could the next 12 months bring me and what would I like to happen 365 days from now?
Whatever you’re up to today, have a great day. Remember that every challenge is a little reminder that you’re alive and thriving and being offered a chance to better yourself in some way.
Now, I understand that you may not have got me a birthday present, panic not!
You can make my, and the FastTrack Fit Camp teams’ day by voting for us in the Muddy Stilettos Awards final which closes today!
If you like what we do and stand for, please consider voting for us before 16:00 today to win the Fitness Instructor category. We’d be very grateful and damn chuffed!
Please, please vote with a click of this link and you’re almost done!
Finally, as it’s a birthday day (5 of us in Fit Camp have a birthday today!) I thought I’d share a cake recipe with you. A rather tasty gluten free chocolate cake that can be topped with melted chocolate or left plain. Enjoy!