Being happy is a great thing, so is being excited and eager and anticipating good stuff coming. It keeps you moving and growing and you become a fuller more rounded character for all of that.
But that’s quite hard to maintain all the time and sometimes accepting that being content with where you are, how things are going and that life is good – is perfect.
But how do you get there? Here’s five things I thought about on my walk this morning.
- Be yourself. Stop pretending, stop trying to please everyone and allow yourself to be relaxed in your own body from the inside out.
- Have a purpose bigger that you. It might be charity work, or raising a family or building a community or investing in your families future or helping others. Something way outside of you doing something for you that makes your heart sing.
- Be grateful with what you have now. You may not have what you want yet, but being grateful for what you have now whatever it is – is liberating as it stops the noise in your head for not being good enough or having enough.
- Smile every day and make someone smile each day. It’s infectious, people like happy people, they don’t like grumps.
- Doing the tiny stuff each day that makes you feel good. A cup of coffee after lunch, a walk outside, reading a book, walking your kids to school, listening to music, chatting with your mum / friend / spouse. Doing these little things each day builds a foundation for contentment that becomes stronger the more often you do it.
I’m at my most content when I sit on my bench, coffee in hand and just enjoy being outside.