Even if you ‘don’t do baking’ — you can make these; they are very simple.
- 200g walnuts (could use pecans)
- 200g of dried apricots (I’ve also used figs or dates just as successfully)
- 2 eggs
- 1 generous teaspoon vanilla essence
- Cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips (a sprinkle)
- Line a square cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C, gas 3.
- Whizz the nuts and fruit in a food processor until chunky.
- Whizz in the eggs and essence without making it smooth.
- Turn into the tin and smooth over.
- Sprinkle the chips or nibs on top. Slightly press into the batter so they stick.
- Bake for 30 minutes until starting to brown.
Leave to cool and cut into bars (8) or smaller portions (12) — could probably get away with 16, but you might end up eating 2 at a time.
They are protein packed with the nuts and eggs, you get a sweet kick from the fruit too.
Can’t eat nuts? Try these nut free versions.