This is very nice cold from the fridge the day after making it.
- 100g split red lentils
- 125ml boiling water
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 carrot , roughly grated
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 50g organic butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook lentils in boiling water in a small pan for about 20-25 minutes until soft.
- At the same time, dry fry the cumin seeds in a frying pan until they start to pop.
- Then add butter and fry onion, garlic and carrot and cook gently until soft.
- Add in the remaining spices and stir through.
- When cooked, add the lentils and stir through vegetables. Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to ramekin dishes or a bowl.
- When cooled place in the fridge to set.
Eat spread on crackers gram flour flat breads, as a dip or with a salad.