I do love baking. I also really rather like chocolate. Too bad that the two nearly always mean flour and wheat.
So I came up with these rather lovely gluten-free brownies and you, yes you wouldn’t even know! Enjoy.
- 220g ground almonds
- 1 generous tablespoon tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 115g cocoa powder
- 150-200g xylitol
- 200g melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 150g chopped, stoned prunes
- 8-12 walnut halves
- Pre-heat oven to 350F, 180C or gas 4.
- Line a flapjack tin with baking paper (9x13inches)
- Combine almonds, tapioca flour, baking powder, cocoa and sugar. Stir together and squidge the lumps of cocoa powder.
- Add melted butter. Stir, it will be rough and quite stiff.
- Add the beaten eggs and vanilla. Beat thoroughly and it will become much easier to work.
- Add the chopped prunes.
- Tip into the prepared tin and smooth over.
- Top with walnuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Should be cooked through but not dry around the edges.
Leave to cool.
Perfect as a dessert or cake.
Can be frozen into portions for packed lunches.