A wheat, gluten and dairy free tart style pud.
Ingredients – Base
90g dates, roughly chopped
60g corn or rice cakes
90g desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 teaspoon coconut oil
Ingredients – Filling
60ml grapenut oil
60ml runny honey
3 large eggs
2 large lemons
Ground nutmeg – for sprinkling at the end.
* Pre-heat oven to 180c / 350f / gas 4.
* Place dates and water in a small saucepan and boil so that the dates disintegrate and the water becomes syrupy.
* Meanwhile whizz the corn or rice cakes in a food processor with the desiccated coconut and cinnamon.
* Stir coconut oil into hot date mixture.
* Combine dry and wet ingredients. Then press into a spring form 8-9 inch flan tin, or a ceramic flan dish.
* Use your fingers to push the mixture up the sides and make the crust an even depth all over the dish.
* Pre-bake for 10 minutes.
* Meanwhile make the filling by grating rind of one lemon and juicing both of them.
* Whizz all the filling ingredients together with a blender or food processor.
* Once the crust has been in the oven for 10 minutes, pour the filling in and bake for a further 20 minutes at 170c / 325 f / gas 3.
* The filing will set during cooking.
* I think it’s nicer cooled and then placed in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving, but you could serve warm although the crust may not be as strong as when it’s cold.