A great tasting soup and popular in our house when we’re overdue a shopping trip because we always seem to have these ingredients.
Serves about 4.
- 30g butter or coconut oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon medium curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 30g gram flour (chick pea flour — to be used as a thickener, so any flour of choice, gluten free would work)
- 500ml chicken stock
- 500ml milk substitute of your choice, I’ve used both coconut and oat milk successfully.
- Grated peel of half a lemon ( I usually add the juice too)
- 375g sweetcorn or peas
- 220g tinned tuna (drained). I tend to use 2 small tins (if it’s tinned in spring water I add it undrained)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cook onion in oil gently until soft.
- Add curry powder, paprika and flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add stock stirring all the time.
- Add milk, lemon peel and sweetcorn and simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the tuna, making sure you break up the clumps. Simmer to heat through.
At this point I would whizz it with my hand blender just to make it a bit thicker. But that’s up to you.
Add parsley and season to taste.