This recipe was developed after we acquiring a huge sack of carrots. It worked rather well!
They don’t need to be eaten with curry, they could replace any starchy carb in a meal. Also you can make ahead and freeze, take them out of the freezer and heat in the oven to serve.
- 450-480g grated carrots (or 2-3 onions for onion bhajis)
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced (leave out if making onion bhajis)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 finely sliced garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 100g gram flour (chick pea flour)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coconut oil for frying
- Pre-heat the oven to 1900C / 3750F / Gas mark 5.
- Get a biscuit tray or roasting tin ready that you can put the frittas in as they cook.
- Put carrots, onions, salt, garam masala, gram flour and egg into a large bowl and mix together.
- Dry fry the ground cumin and sliced garlic until spice is toasted then remove from the heat and add to carrot mix.
- Mix all together and add 1-2 tablespoons of water. The mixture shouldn’t be runny, but the carrot should stick together fairly easily.
- Heat a large frying pan with some coconut oil and cook tablespoon sized dollops of carrot mix in the pan. Push down with the back of the spoon to flatten.
- When cooked on the underside and the edges are starting to brown a little, flip over and cook the other side. Transfer to the oven to keep warm before serving.
- Continue cooking the rest of the mix.