This is a thick warming soup with a kick.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1 onion, chopped roughly.
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped.
- 2 carrots, diced roughly.
- 2 celery sticks, chopped roughly.
- ½ – 1 teaspoon chilli powder.
- ½ – 1 teaspoon turmeric.
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander.
- 200g red lentils, washed and picked through.
- 1.5 litres good vegetable stock or gammon stock (my favourite!).
- 1 bay leaf.
- Salt and pepper.
- Crispy bacon ‘croutons’ to serve.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry cumin seeds until they start to sizzle and become fragrant.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery cook gently until the onion is golden. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the spices and cook for a minute whilst stirring before adding the lentils.
- Add stock and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 20-30 minutes until lentils are mushy and veggies tender.
- Remove bay leaf, then use a hand blender or food processor to blend until smooth.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve garnished with crispy, crumbled bacon in a small pile on each bowl.