Muffins are always a favourite but hard to find on-plan.
Not any more.
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons organic unrefined honey or Xylitol
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 100g melted organic butter or coconut oil
- 50g ground almonds
- 75g coconut flour
- 200-250ml milk choice (coconut, oat, rice, soya)
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 6, 200C or 400F. Prepare your muffin tin (a deep American style rather than a bun tin). I used paper liners too.
- In a large bowl mash your bananas then add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Start with 200ml of milk and check for consistency, add more if necessary. Coconut flour is very absorbent.
- Spoon evenly into muffin cases.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes. They’ll be springy and slightly browning on top.
- Tropical: 30g desiccated coconut, 6 chopped, dried apricots.
- Chocolate: 2 tablespoons cocoa and 1 bar of 70% cocoa chocolate chopped small.
- Banana and date: add another banana and 6 chopped, dried medjool dates (may want to reduce sweetener on this one)
- Date and walnut: add a large handful of walnuts chopped and 6 chopped, dried medjool dates
- Apple and cinnamon: 1 dessert spoon cinnamon, 1 eating apple chopped into small chunks.
- Trail Mix: add 1-2 large handfuls of pre-packed trail mix (breaking up any large banana chips and fruit pieces) — check also for gluten free.
- Very berry: a combination of a handful of dried blueberries and dried cranberries.