Baked beans are always a favourite with kids but so much more satisfying to make your own.
- 400g dried haricot or cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 150g smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml water
- 2 -3 chopped medjool dates
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Drain them, place in a pan, cover with fresh water and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Cook for about 45 minutes-1 hour until tender.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onions and bacon and cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, tomatoes, dates, vinegar, paprika and water.
- Tip in the beans.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1½-2 hours, stirring occasionally, until you have a thick sauce and tender beans.