A great recipe if you have a glut of tomatoes or can buy some supermarket ones on marked down price! It’s a real favourite in the Strickers household.
- 10 – 12 tomatoes (the riper the better)
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2 red onions (white will do, but red are better)
- 2 litres of homemade or good quality stock (chicken works well as does gammon or vegetable)
- 1 tbl sp coconut oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sea salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C, 375F, gas 5.
- Wash and cut tomatoes in half.
- Peel and chop the garlic cloves.
- Peel and slice the onions.
- Place the tomatoes cut side up on a baking tray, sprinkle the garlic and onion over and around the tomatoes. Dab bits of coconut oil over the veggies.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes so that the onions start to brown and the tomatoes are well cooked.
- Transfer all the vegetables into a large pot with the stock and heat through.
- Whizz with a blender.
When cooking the tomatoes lay slices of streaky bacon on top of them. Before transferring to the pan, remove the bacon and save for chopping and topping the soup.